IV or Panzerkampfwagen IV or abbreviated to Pz.Kpfw. IV was designed as an infantry
support tank with a short 7.5 cm assault gun which was to support Panzer
however, after realising that the Panzer III
was inferior to the Russian T-34 tanks. It wasn't long before the Panzer IV assumed
the role of main battle tank of Wehrmacht.
The Panzer IV was a very reliable
and sturdy battle tank, which was continually updated during the course of World
War II. Its design and conception, began after a meeting by the Army ordnance
department on the 11th of January 1934. A number of manufacturers submitted their
designs for the Panzer IV Krupp's
design was accepted for production in 1936 while development and construction
prototype took place at Krupp's, Essen factory. The production line was established
at Krupp-Grusonwerke AG
at Magdeburg. Production was also carried out at Nibelungen-Werke
German Military Vehicles.
Armoured Fighting Vehicles of Germany World War II.
Encyclopedia of German Tanks of World Two.
For a complete list of sources